Thursday 6 September 2012

Georgia's Final Gift! HighFall state Park Ga

I thought you might like to see one last Gem that Georgia offered me as I drove to the Airport to return home from one of my trips to see Gator.

As I headed for Atlanta yesterday, I found myself only an hour from the car rental depot and 6 hours ahead of schedule, a quick look at the map showed that there was a tiny state park a mile off the next junction, I did not expect much, but boy was I mistaken!

In the early 1800s, the site was a prosperous industrial town with several stores, a grist mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, shoe factory and hotel. High Falls became a ghost town in the 1880s when a major railroad bypassed it. Today, park visitors can enjoy the scenic waterfall on the Towaliga River and hike to the remaining grist mill foundation. A campground, picnic areas and canoe rental are also available. This pretty park in middle Georgia is conveniently located near I-75 and makes a restful side trip for travelers.
Highfalls State Park Ga

Highfalls State Park Ga5c7fe_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="Highfalls State Park Ga" />
Highfalls State Park Ga

Highfalls State Park Ga
Highfalls State Park Ga
The Rest of the pics from the shoot are in a new Gallery

2 comments:

  1. Great photos, Baz! this was just a few miles from our house in Jackson. One of my favorite hiking spots...along the Towaliga. I have a poem I wrote about it,too.

    ReplyDelete